Diocese of MTWARA

Area Sq Kilometers  7,780 (3,005 Square Miles)

Population:   1,596,200

No. Catholics:   135,103

 

Historical Notes

In 1931 was established as Territorial Abbacy of Ndanda from Territorial Abbacy of Lindi. In 1963 it Lost territory to establish Diocese of Nachingwea. In 1972 was Promoted as Diocese of Mtwara.

Ordinary:

The Right Rev. Titus Mdoe, born in 1961 at Lushoto in the Diocese of Tanga  He was Ordained priest on 24th June, 1986 and Consecrated Auxiliary B ishop of the Archdiocese of Dar es Salaam on 1st  May, 2013 and installed bishop of Mtwara on 17th  January, 2016.

Address:

Bishop’s House

P.O. BOX 526, MTWARA

TEL.                                        (023) 2333071

ADMINISTRATION                (023) 2333128(OFFICES)

RESIDENCE .                          (023) 2333319/2333310

FAX.                                        (023) 2333071

E-MAIL:                                  bishop.mtwara@yahoo.com

Predecessors:

Joachim (Alois) Ammann, O.S.B. † (29 May 1932 Appointed - 15 Dec 1948 Resigned)

Anthony Victor Haelg (Hälg), O.S.B. † (15 Dec 1949 Succeeded - 18 Dec 1972 Resigned)

Maurus Libaba † (18 Dec 1972 Appointed - 17 Oct 1986 Appointed, Bishop of Lindi)

Gabriel Mmole (12 Mar 1988 Appointed - 15 Oct 2015 Retired)

Titus Joseph Mdoe (15 Oct 2015 Appointed - )

 

Read more